It’s FIFA World Cup time, which means early mornings for Australian football (soccer) fans, nail-biting draws (or Italian-biting Uruguayans) and, of course, highly lucrative sponsorship deals.
- About You
- About Us
- Trade Marks
- Domain Names
- IP Law
- IP Disputes
The Markwell Blog
News, updates and cases on trade marks, domain names and IP law
In Halal Certification Authority Pty Limited v Scadilone Pty Limited  FCA 614, the Federal Court of Australia for the first time awarded ‘additional damages’ for trade mark infringement. Background Halal Certification Authority Pty Ltd (‘HCA’) is one of 13 […]
A recent Federal Court decision, Lift Shop Pty Ltd v Easy Living Home Elevators Pty Ltd  FCAFC 75, has shown the inherent weakness of trade marks which comprise generally descriptive terms. Background Lift Shop Pty Ltd (‘Lift Shop’) is […]
This is the second article in our series that looks at important changes to Chinese trademark laws taking effect in May 2014. The first article can be found here: Important changes to Chinese trademark laws.
In May 2014, China will be implementing important changes to its trade mark laws. This is the first in a series of posts about these changes.
The new trade mark laws that will introduce some changes to the way trade mark applications are processed. The changes intend to streamline procedures, increase efficiency and take steps towards minimising piracy.
The trade mark battle of the ‘mites’ between Dick Smith and Roger Ramsey in Dick Smith Investments Pty Ltd v Roger John Ramsey  ATMO 16 serves as a reminder of the importance of actively using a trade mark to ensure its protection.
- New law to protect major event sponsors
- Additional damages for infringement add up to a lot of kebab
- A recent case on descriptive trade marks and Google Adwords
- Changes to trademark oppositions in China
- Important changes to Chinese trade mark laws
- A mite too late: Dick Smith loses OzEmite
- Trade Marks Office decision too bad for IBAD
- Pacific Brands’ four stripes infringes Adidas’ three stripes
- Domain name disputes: evidence is everything
- Why your business name is worthless (when it comes to brand protection)
Get in touch
Intl: +61 3 9909 7693
Melbourne VIC 3000 AUSTRALIA
We eat trade marks for breakfast
Markwell is a boutique intellectual property firm that provides no-nonsense, fixed price, expert advice in trade marks, domain names and intellectual property law.
Our attorneys have been featured in: